Legionella: Hot and Cold Water Systems, Cooling Towers and Air Conditioning Systems Including Disinfection training course
Course code: WS16 (old code BS23) | View training area
A 5 day training course for managers and engineers who may be responsible for the safe operation and maintenance of water systems within buildings.
Please see below for our full training overview for the Legionella Water Systems and Disinfection course.
Benefits of attending for the delegate
- Greater understanding of the legal and technical requirements for the control of Legionella bacteria in water systems within buildings and the skills necessary to effectively manage and maintain water systems.
Benefits of attending for the employer
- Compliance with the "L8 Fourth edition" code of practice and HSG274 Technical Guidance.
- Monitoring of water systems to guard against an outbreak of Legionnaires' Disease.
What you will learn
- You will revisit the risks associated with Legionella bacteria, Legionnaires' Disease, relevant legislation and the L8 Fourth edition code of practice and HSG274 Technical Guidance.
- Medical aspects of Legionellosis, its occurrence, ecology and transmission routes, including reported cases past and present.
- Design of water systems and modifications to minimise proliferation of Legionella and other organisms by reference to the Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations, guidance documents and approved fittings and materials.
- Identification of susceptible areas within an evaporative tower/condenser. Operation and maintenance and effective water treatment methods.
- Identification of problem areas within hot and cold water systems.
- Monitoring and microbiological sampling and the retention of appropriate records.
- Cleaning and disinfection of water systems. Hygiene working practices.
What qualifications will you achieve?
- This course incorporates assessment and certification under the City and Guilds Frontline Skills Framework Utilities 5831 scheme unit 403 Legionella Hot and Cold Water Systems and unit 404 Legionella Cooling Towers and Air Conditioning Equipment.
How is this training delivered?
- The course is delivered in the classroom. Where possible we will use local water systems to put the course materials in to context.
- The City and Guilds qualification is assessed through written tests and observed practical exercises.
What do I need to bring with me?
- Delegates can bring with them any materials used by their own employer, copies of risk assessments or management systems so that they can see how their materials fit in to the context of the training.