Local contacts for the Prevent Duty and links to relevant information
The Prevent Duty is a government strategy to deny space within educational establishments for people to become radicalised or foster extremist views in themselves or others. It places a duty on colleges and training providers to promote good "British Values" to promote that which is good about living here in the UK, to counter those who seek to groom people who may be vulnerable to being drawn into extremism or terrorism.
PREVENT also places a duty on us to recognise and challenge extremist behaviour and if there is good reason refer to the governments Channel programme. This noncriminal programme focuses on providing support at an early stage to people who are identified as being vulnerable to being drawn into terrorism.
The Prevent Duty is not about preventing our Learners from having political and religious views and concerns but about supporting them to use those concerns or act on them in non-extremist ways.
Each local area will have local contacts and a local board to assess referrals to Channel.
Contacts local to our training centres
- For PREVENT within Further Education and Training including Information, Advice, Guidance and training resources see Prevent for Further Education and Training.
- For Channel and Prevent advice in Derby and Derbyshire speak with the local FE Prevent Coordinator or see here for guidance.
- For Channel and Prevent advice in North Yorkshire speak with FE Prevent Coordinator or click here.
- For Channel and Prevent advice in Swindon speak with FE Prevent Coordinator.
- For Channel and Prevent advice in Romford speak with FE Prevent Coordinator or click here.
- For Channel and Prevent advice in Bolton speak with FE Prevent Coordinator or click here.
Guidance on Channel itself can be found here.