Installation and maintenance Electricians apprenticeship
Electricians install, maintain and repair electrical systems in industrial, commercial and domestic environments. Electricians might work in both indoor and outdoor settings. Electrical equipment and systems may include switchboards, motors, cables, fuses, thermal relays, fault current protection switches, heating, lighting, air conditioning and metering equipment as well as crime and fire alarm systems and renewable energy technologies.
Installation Electricians work on the installation, testing, commissioning and maintenance of low voltage (less than 1000v) electrical and electronic devices and appliances.
Maintenance Electricians work on the maintenance of electrical and electronic installations including automated production systems. Duties include the supervision of the equipment, its maintenance and necessary repairs.
Please see below for our full programme overview for the Electrician apprenticeship.
Core requirements: Knowledge
- Principles, practices and legislation for the termination and connection of conductors, cables and cords in electrical systems.
- Procedures for preparation and installation of wiring systems and electrotechnical equipment.
- Principles, practices and legislation for the inspection, testing, commissioning, certification and maintenance of electrotechnical systems and equipment.
- Procedures for the diagnosis and correction of electrical faults.
- Organisation of work environment.
Core requirements: Skills
- Termination and connection of conductors, cables and cords in electrical systems.
- Installation of wiring systems and electrotechnical equipment.
- Inspection, testing, commissioning and certification of electrotechnical systems.
- Diagnosis and correcting of electrical faults.
- Maintenance of electrical equipment and systems.
Additional skills are required for the two job roles listed above. For more information, refer to the full apprenticeship standard at www.gov.uk.
Link to professional registration
By the end of the apprenticeship the candidate will have satisfied the requirements for registration as Eng Tech by the Engineering Council.
Funding band: £27,000
Maths/English level required: 2
End point assessment:
- Synoptic Practice
- Knowledge Assessment