Training and assessment for Gas competency
Our Gas Industry Operative Competency Framework is an accredited programme of competency based training and assessment units developed specifically for operatives in the gas industry.
The framework consists of a series of modular units for operatives working in the gas/utilities industry to demonstrate their competence, the units are in areas not covered by National Occupational Standards or where employers seek a trade test rather than a full vocational qualification.
Benefits of attending for the learner
- A demonstration of competence.
Benefits of attending for the employer
- A structure for competence and evidence of a competent workforce.
- Structured training pathways that can enhance IIP and other HR related measures.
- The programme can be linked to competence frameworks of the employer.
How is this training delivered?
- Units are modular and delivery can be tailored to particular needs.
- Accreditation is recognised under the Frontline Skills Framework Utilities 5831 Scheme, accredited by City and Guilds.
- Training and assessment is typically between one day and one week in duration dependant upon the complexity of the assessments.
- Wherever possible scheme assessment is undertaken by observation of practical exercises in addition to written testing.
- The delivery method is targeted training followed by assessment, but the programme can be assessment only where the goal is the accreditation of existing skills.
Example of units available in the scheme:
- Background to Gas Distribution.
- Bag Stopping of LP Metallic Mains.
- Bag Stopping of LP PE Mains.
- Butt Fusion for Managers.
- Butt Fusion of PE Mains.
- Create designs for gas pipelines.
- Deep Trench Support.
- Electro Fusion Jointing.
- Emergency procedures and making safe.
- Fire Control.
- Flow Stopping for Managers.
- Flow Stopping of LP Metallic Gas Mains for Managers.
- Flow Stopping of Small Diameter LP PE Mains.
- Gas Meter Reading.
- Gas Pressure Control Systems and Duty Design Options: Understanding of LP District Governor Installations.
- Gas Pressure Control Systems; Understanding of LP and MP Rotary Turbine Meter Governor Installations.
- Gas utilisations LPG Safety.
- Low Pressure PE Service Laying.
- Management of Directional Drilling Operation.
- Management of Impact Moling Operations.
- Management of LP & MP Diaphragm Meters and Service Governor Installations.
- Pipe Encapsulation/Sealant.
- PE Main Laying.
- Polyethylene Main Laying for Managers.
- Principle of District Governors.
- Produce specifications for gas pipelines.
- Purging of New PE mains.
- Purging of New PE Mains for Managers.
- Removal of Steel Gas Services.
- Safe Use of Vacuum Excavation Equipment.
- Selecting, Mounting and Using Abrasive Wheels.
- Service Laying for Managers.
- Temporary and Permanent Thrust Restraint.
- Testing of Low Pressure Mains.
- Testing of LP Gas Mains for Managers.
- Testing of Medium Pressure Mains.
- Testing of MP Gas Mains for Managers.
- Under Pressure Branch Connections (Metallic).
- Under Pressure Branch Connections (PE).
- Under Pressure Drilling and Tapping (Metallic).
- Use of Coil Trailers.
- Use of Gascoseeker Mk1/Mk2.
- Use of Impact Moling Equipment.
- Use of Winching Equipment.
Please call us on 0800 876 6708 for more information or to discuss your particular requirements.