Personal skills for Managing Health and Safety
A 3 day training course for existing practitioners, with good health and safety knowledge, who would like to develop their personal skills for implementing or managing health and safety.
Please see below for our full training overview for Health and Safety Practitioner Skills.
Benefits of attending for the delegate
- Confidence in managing people as well as tasks.
- Confidence to use your skills and knowledge and to exhibit the behaviours required within your organisation.
- Gain skills and techniques to handle conflict.
- Gain skills, techniques and confidence to challenge and manage inappropriate behaviour.
- The opportunity to share your experiences with other Health and Safety professionals.
Benefits of attending for the employer
- Competent supervisors and managers, better able to appreciate the needs of others but able to challenge the status quo to deliver tangible health and safety improvements.
- Where numbers allow we will tailor to individual employers, their business goals and values.
What you will learn
Examples of key topics that can be covered include:
- Roles and responsibilities.
- Communication styles.
- What happens when you are under pressure.
- Values, beliefs and feelings.
- Leadership versus Management.
- Situational Leadership.
- Groups versus teams.
- Developing others and Empowerment.
- Questioning and Listening skills.
- Learning Ladder.
- Skill/Will matrix.
- Time Management.
- Managing through change.
- Training, coaching and mentoring.
- Coaching techniques.
- Risk management.
- Challenging inappropriate behaviour.
How is this training delivered?
- The theory of the course is delivered in the classroom but there is an emphasis on using "real play" scenarios to practice skills learned.
- We simulate real situations, with actors, to test management and communication skills. These are observed and discussed as a group to share best practice. In this workshop we simulate Health and Safety related challenges.
- The programme can be enhanced with the addition of psychometric testing and/or post course reinforcement, projects or follow up workshops. The programme can be built to an employer's specification.
What qualifications will you achieve?
- This course is accredited by the Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM).
Do you need to bring anything with you?
- Delegates are required to bring to bring their basic PPE with them - Hi-Vis jacket; safety boots; safety glasses; hard hat.
Delegates undertaking this course might also consider:
- These are stand-alone courses, but you may wish to consider other Management Development courses from the "effective range".
- Develop also offer a bespoke range of ILM products at Levels 3 and 5 in Leadership and Management.
This is an individually tailored programme - please call us on 0800 876 6708 to discuss your particular requirements.