Developing the Skills of New Managers
Are you new to management? Do you need to sharpen your skills as a people manager? Do you want to motivate and inspire others?
A 3 day or 5 day workshop for new and aspiring managers, moving into a line manager position in the not so distant future, to gain the knowledge and skills to manage others effectively by motivating and delegating.
This workshop provides the opportunity for delegates to understand how to manage others, by motivating and delegating in a safe environment. By using a variety of training methods delegates will learn new skills and produce a personal action plan to implement in their own workplace.
Please see below for our full training overview for New Manager Skills.
Benefits of attending for the delegate
- Understand the differences in people.
- Describe the differences in Leadership and management.
- Develop skills and knowledge of different leadership styles and how to adapt these to suit the person and task.
- Develop the knowledge and skills to motivate others.
- Understand Group think.
- Understand how change can affect your team.
- Understand the stages we go through during change
- Describe how to use an effective structure for coaching.
Benefits of attending for the employer
- Achieve an adaptable workforce who understands how to modify their behaviour so they can relate to other individuals, internally and externally, in a more effective manner.
- Managers who are more confident in how they can use different techniques to build an effective team.
What you will learn
Examples of key topics that can be covered include:
- Roles and responsibilities.
- Communication styles.
- What happens when you are under pressure.
- Values, beliefs and feelings.
- Leadership versus Management.
- Situational Leadership.
- Groups versus teams.
- Developing others and Empowerment.
- Questioning and Listening skills.
- Learning Ladder.
- Skill/Will matrix.
- Time Management.
- Managing through change.
- Training, coaching and mentoring.
- Coaching techniques.
How is this training delivered?
- The theory of the course is delivered in the classroom but there is an emphasis on using "real play" scenarios to practice skills learned.
- We simulate real situations, with actors, to test management skills. These are observed and discussed as a group to share best practice.
- The programme can be enhanced with the addition of psychometric testing and/or post course reinforcement, projects, or follow up workshops. The programme can be built to employer specification.
What qualifications will you achieve?
- This course is accredited by the Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM).
Do you need to bring anything with you?
- Delegates are required to bring to bring their basic PPE with them - Hi-Vis jacket; safety boots; safety glasses; hard hat.
Delegates undertaking this course might also consider:
- These are stand-alone courses, but you may wish to consider other Management Development courses from the "effective range".
- Develop also offer a bespoke range of ILM products at Levels 3 and 5 in Leadership and Management.