Training for smart metering installations
Smart meters are an integral part of the UK's plans to create a greener, safer and more reliable energy network, but the rollout programme is placing severe demands on the energy firms and their supply chain. Faced with the need to install around one million meters a month until 2020 in order to meet Government targets, industry must take urgent action to address the skills gaps of existing engineers and, more importantly, increase the number of qualified smart meter installers.
Develop Training Limited (DTL) has been at the forefront of smart meter training since 2014 and can boast a highly qualified delivery team and state-of-the-art training facilities. These ensure that employers are able to meet the significant skills challenge required by the UK's implementation of smart meters. DTL is accredited by the Energy & Efficiency Independent Assessment Service (EEIAS) to provide training for smart meter installers.
Knowledge and skills required by a smart meter installer
A smart meter installer is responsible for the safe installation, exchange, commissioning, maintenance and eventual decommissioning of smart metering systems. In most cases, even experienced engineers need upskilling to carry out smart meter installations. As Siemens explains:
"Traditionally engineers have been trained in either gas or electricity installation, so the focus now is on upskilling existing engineers with dual fuel installation capabilities and attracting new talent to the industry. These engineers will be required, not only, to have the training and qualifications to perform the installation, but also excellent customer service skills to engage the customer with the Smart Metering System and their energy usage."
See below for competences and understanding a smart meter installer needs to have, as defined by The Smart Metering Installation Code of Practice (SMICoP):
- Trained and accredited in smart meter installation to appropriate level by accredited training provider.
- Registered with the Meter Operators Code of Practice (MOCOPA) and the GasSafe Register.
- Understands and complies with MOCOPA requirements for installation visit.
- Competent in addressing and managing customer queries.
- Can identify, report and provide appropriate guidance for vulnerable customers.
- Can provide appropriate energy efficiency guidance.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of data protection and privacy.
Options for smart meter training
DTL offers a range of training courses, and supporting resources, to help employers develop a competent, qualified and accredited workforce for the future, including:
- Smart Meter upskilling to MOCOPA (for existing gas installers).
- Upskilling to gas via Guild of Gas Fitting Operatives (GGFO) Foundation.
- Upskilling for all installer levels.
- Trailblazer apprenticeship (for new entrants to the industry).
- Mentoring & coaching for smart meter supervisors.
- City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma in Smart Metering (for those with some relevant knowledge & skills, also available to new entrants to the industry).
The UK government's energy policy requires suppliers to install smart meters in the homes of all domestic customers and small businesses by the end of 2020.
Fundamental to meeting this deadline will be the availability of qualified meter installers. The sector is already facing workforce shortfall and even existing engineers will require additional skills in areas such as dual fuel capability and customer service.
Fast, effective and accredited training programmes and initiatives are vital if suppliers are to meet their obligations and avoid penalties.
Find out more
We'd be delighted to discuss your smart meter training requirements with you: