Find out about Develop
Develop Training Limited (DTL) is one of the UK's leading accredited providers of Compliance, Technical, and Safety training. Our learners include some of the UK's largest and best-known organisations from the Utilities and Construction, Defence, Healthcare, Facilities Management, and Telecommunication sectors.
DTL is part of the JTL group, the leading national training provider for electrical and plumbing & heating apprenticeships.
Click on the below boxes to find out more.
Background to Develop Training
DTL was established in its current form in 2007, but has a history of training and assessment stretching back nearly 50 years. The firm has a staff of over 100 as well as a rich network of associates, sub-contractors and partnerships which form an extended corporate family. DTL provides services for many of the UK's largest infrastructure companies, in addition to thousands of smaller firms, and trains over 30,000 learners every year. DTL has established a robust Code of Practice and learning model which underpins its whole operation.
In 2019 DTL was acquired by JTL, with both organisations continuing to operate under their current trading names, with business as usual.
Training sector expertise
The training centre at Burn Hall retains particular expertise within the Facilities Management sector and it was influential in setting high standards for training, in particular for safe systems of work for Authorising Engineers and Authorised Persons. We continue to have a fantastic relationship with AE's and AP's across the Commercial, Healthcare and Defence sectors.
The training centre at Derby will be well known to many from the Gas and Water Utilities and for some time it has been the hub for an extensive portfolio of compliance and technical training in the utilities industry, and the delivery of a not insignificant number of utilities apprenticeships. We are proud to work with so many organisations large and small and it makes us very proud to see former apprentices moving through into supervisory roles and beyond.
Technical competence and compliance
Many delegates will also recognise the "5831" scheme which was created by Develop Training Ltd to better recognise technical skills, wherever possible by assessing the delegates practical ability in addition to their technical knowledge. Now known as the Frontline Skills Framework 5831 Scheme (accredited by City and Guilds) the scheme offers a wide range of assessment standards that are not available elsewhere. The scheme helps to build competence and evidence of compliance of an individual's technical proficiency (as part of a balanced package of training, experience and qualifications). Some will remember that 5831 was the standard for confined spaces before the NOS were developed industry wide.
In the most recent period our training centres have diversified such that most training solutions can be delivered from each centre or on client premises. With the exception of some programmes requiring larger and more fixed assets, the vast majority of other training has become more flexible, more mobile and more local, driven by the market, driven by our clients. The more recent centre in Linlithgow continues to be developed and the Swindon training centre has grown considerably in capability and utilisation.
When booking with Develop Training you can be sure we have a programme of continuous quality improvement.
Continuous quality improvement with Develop Training
Here are some of the reasons why quality improvement is continuous at Develop Training:
- The safeguarding, safety and wellbeing of our learners is paramount. There is a designated safeguarding lead and deputy, local safeguarding champions, regular staff training and supporting safeguarding processes, including our dedicated webpage.
- Safer recruitment practices are followed when recruiting new colleagues, with references and checks on qualifications, work history and DBS.
- The company promotes “British Values” and the awareness and understanding of the PREVENT programme, helping to deny opportunity in educational establishments to those who seek to radicalise learners.
- All delivery roles within the company are defined by a competence matrix, providing a template against which all recruitment and training is undertaken.
- Staff members undertake regular training, including knowledge and understanding of diversity and equality.
- There are scheduled observations of teaching, learning and assessment to ensure high quality standards are maintained.
- The company is committed to colleagues undertaking continuous professional development to maintain such high standards.
- Internal audits are undertaken on each area of delivery as part of our Internal Quality Assurance processes. Each accredited qualification is further subject to External Quality Assurance by the relevant awarding body.
- Post event feedback is sought online from each learner.
- There are defined complaints and assessment appeals procedures should any learner wish to raise concerns.
- There are local health and safety champions, bi-annual inspection of venues, investigation of incidents and use of risk assessment to inform learners of appropriate control measures in practical exercises.
- The company holds the relevant policies that might be expected of it, from anti-bullying and harassment to whistleblowing.
- The company holds the ISO9001 and OHSAS 45001 standards.
- The company undertakes self-assessment annually to inform planning for continuous quality improvement.
- The company can be found on the Register of Apprenticeship Training Providers and OFSTED reports are available online.
We are happy to share relevant information with clients seeking to establish our quality credentials. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our style in the approach and development of training
The breadth and depth of Develop Training's activities may be, in some cases, surprising!
We train the employees of some of the largest, and most iconic, blue-chip companies in the UK. The vast majority of our clients are from the water, gas and facilities management sectors. Northumbrian Water, Northern Gas Networks and Carillion are already members of our expanding portfolio of clients. We also work with power and telecoms companies, such as National Grid and BT; NHS hospital trusts; the Ministry of Defence; and large infrastructure construction firms, such as Balfour Beatty, Kier Group, and Skanska.
Some of our most popular courses are relevant to almost every sector and business environment. We facilitate safe-working with asbestos; the ability to deal with, and prevent, Legionella; and best practice Confined Space training.
Although we offer an annual "Open Course Programme" on which any firm, or individual, may book places the vast majority of our training takes places through the provision of bespoke courses. These courses can be held at any one of our UK training centres or, if preferred and practical, at client premises. Develop Training is extraordinarily flexible in its approach.
Develop Training is also highly innovative. We provide systems integrated web portals for clients to track, manage and maintain training records. These also provide automatic reminders for training needs to ensure continual compliance. Additionally, the content of a number of our specialist courses, such as those involving leakage detection, gas pressure control, and airfield ground lighting is unrivalled in the UK.
Internationally, too, we continue to develop tailored training programmes to meet our clients' needs throughout Europe, Africa and the Middle East and, since 1990 have provided annual technical and awareness workshops for the Japan Water Works Association.
As we are all increasingly aware there are skills gaps across the UK workforce and Develop Training has much to offer in this area, and not only technically.
Develop Training understands the need for companies, across all sectors, to provide comprehensive and practical training to employees making the transition from operative to supervisor, and from supervisor to manager.
Consequently we offer Management Development programmes in (amongst many other areas) time management, conflict resolution, and presentation skills, plus nationally recognised awards in the assessment of workplace competencies, quality assurance and team coaching.
Importantly our courses are accredited by the Institute of Leadership and Management and City & Guilds under its Training, Assessment and Quality Assurance (TAQA) programme, therefore providing real value to employer and employee alike.
Develop Training considers all of its clients important, but some require greater contact, management and resources than others. In order to help in this, all of our major clients have multiple points of direct contact and a dedicated Account Director, Business Develop Manager and Client Service Executive. We believe this is vital in order to match our services with client needs.
Surprised? Find out more and discuss your company's training and development needs by calling us on 0800 876 6708.
Develop Training Core Values
Our success depends on how we work. Everything we do is guided by our core values. We've identified four key principles that are fundamental to our people, our work and our results.
We are effective, skilled and serious about what we do.
We believe in being honest and fair and delivering on our promise.
We treat our customers, stakeholders and staff courteously, honestly and fairly.
We respond to our customers and the sector's expectations and provide a great experience for all.