Authorised Person: Confined Spaces Refresher (APCS-R)
Course for persons who seek reappointment as an authorised person able to implement safe systems of work for confined spaces. It offers the opportunity for continuous professional development for all authorised persons in this area of work. Our most popular re-appointment course is structured around the specific safety rules of the MOD and procedures contained in their Health and Safety Handbook JSP 375 Volume 3 Chapter 6. If your sector does not have specific safe work rules then JSP 375 is a relevant framework against which to refresh your skills, but if you would like to incorporate other sectors or specifically tailor a course to your sector or safety rules, please call us on 0800 876 6708.
3 day course
Benefits for the learner
- Continued confidence to risk assess, plan confined space entry by employees and contractors, and implement and document safe work.
- Continued confidence to direct others who may supervise or enter confined spaces with regard to working safely.
Benefits for the employer
- The avoidance of serious injury and major harm to employees and contractors working on your premises.
- An independent assessment regards the skills of the candidate, which may form part of the overall assessment of competence to re-appoint Authorised Persons for Confined Spaces.
What you’ll learn on this course
- Statutory legislation, safety rules and procedures for managing safe work in confined spaces. The role and duties of appointed personnel.
- To risk assess confined spaces and to develop, communicate and manage safe work, and appropriate emergency procedures.
- To accurately describe and record safe work systems and to issue permits to work.
- To understand mechanisms of atmosphere testing, monitoring and ventilation procedures and to use and interpret gas monitors to verify safe atmospheres.
- To select as appropriate, gas monitoring or testing equipment, harnesses, hoists, winches and fall arrest systems and escape or working breathing apparatus.
- Selection and use of breathing apparatus including awareness of both Escape Set Breathing Apparatus and Self Contained Breathing Apparatus.
What do I need to bring with Me?
- Learners should bring their own safety footwear, waterproof clothing, high visibility vest/clothing, hard hat and working gloves for the practical exercises. We have a selection of harnesses but please bring your own harness if you wish.
How is the training delivered?
- Learners of the refresher training course will complete practical exercises that involve the management, application and control of documentation, these exercises are assessed and feedback provided. Final assessment is by a written paper and documentation exercise.
- Learners will also revisit relevant safety equipment, Escape Set and Self Contained Breathing Apparatus. Learners must be deemed medically suited by their employer, reasonably fit and feel able to wear a full face mask/hood/chemical re-breather mouthpiece.
- Successful learners will receive a certificate of attendance from DevelopTraining.
February 2019 - David Williamson
Probably for the attention of more than one stakeholder but the access road to the site is shockingly bad.
May 2018 - Sharon Wright
Personally, I think the certificates should include that the attendee has 'completed' the course and not state 'attended'. State if the attendee has passed the course, and list subject areas covered.