A 3 day training course for persons with responsibility for the design, installation or maintenance of electrical systems. The course is designed for electrically trained engineers/craftsmen to attain a benchmark qualification relating to the 18th Edition IET Wiring Regulations.
An 18th Edition Wiring Regulations 1 day refresher course is also available for those who have previously completed a 17th Edition IET Wiring Regulations course.
What you will learn
Upon successful completion of this course individuals will be conversant with the format, content and the application of the Requirements for Electrical Installations (BS7671: 2018) 18th Edition Regulations.
Key learning points:
- The terminology used for electrical installations.
- The assessment of the installation that has to be carried out.
- Protection against electric shock.
- Protection against short-circuit currents.
- Isolation and switching.
- Protection against overloads.
- Sizing conductors for the above.
- Selection and erection of equipment.
- Sizing of earthing and protective conductors.
- Outline of the rules for inspection and testing.
Changes from the 17th edition
Changes for 18th Edition are suggested to be as follows (*):
- Protection against over voltages - Clause 443 is likely to be overhauled.
- Protection against fire - Chapter 42 will be updated with extra information on arc fault detection.
- Electrical Embedded heating - Section 753 will be extended to include embedded electrical heating systems for surface heating, and will include de-icing and frost prevention systems.
- Energy efficiency - There will be a brand new section covering energy efficiency.
* Course duration and content may change once the full scope of the update is released.