A 1 day training course designed for experienced operatives with an active knowledge of utility operations and excavating practices who will be required to safely excavate and maintain holes and trenches using both hand tools and hand held power. Course covers the minimum training and assessment required for those working to safely excavate and maintain holes and trenches using both hand tools and hand-held power tools.
Benefits of attending for the learner
Develop your understanding and practical application of the following areas in relation to the implementation of safe excavating practices:
- Health, safety and environmental responsibilities.
- Site specific risk assessment.
- Personal protective equipment.
- The danger of underground utility services.
- The legislation and health and safety guidance.
- Planning to excavate.
- Prepare resources to carry out excavation.
- Carrying out excavations.
What you will learn
The standard has been derived from the following National Occupational Standards:
- EUSEPUS043 Carry out Excavation Work on Underground Cables in Electricity Power Environment.
- EUSMUNC07 Excavate and Maintain Holes and Trenches for Utility Networks Construction.
- EUSGNC007 Excavate and Maintain Holes and Trenches for Complex Operations in Gas Network Construction.
It also incorporates the relevant requirements of HSE guidance documents:
- HSG47 Avoiding Danger from Underground Services.
- HSG150 Health and Safety in Construction tools.
Achievement of the standard demonstrates effective performance, by being able to demonstrate the following skills and knowledge:
- How to interpret utility drawings and line search documents.
- How to use safe digging techniques to carry out and maintain excavations.
- How to identify the dangers and hazards associated with excavations.
What qualifications will you achieve?
Successful learners will receive a Develop Training Ltd certificate of competence as well as registration on the Energy and Utility Skills Register and a EUSR skills card. Achievement of this standard is valid for 3 years from the date of completion.
How is this training delivered?
This subject will be taught using a blended approach; learning will be within a classroom facility with breakout session, videos, group discussion and practical activities. Assessment of knowledge will be undertaken via a question paper, practical assessment will take place using hand held power tools and hand tools to demonstrate safe excavation techniques.