Dual Fuel Smart Meter Installation Engineers (Electricity & Gas) apprenticeship
Dual Fuel Smart Meter Installers are responsible for the safe installation, exchange, commission, decommission and ongoing maintenance of Smart metering systems and associated equipment and communication systems. The role is physical in nature, and may involve lifting and moving of equipment, working at heights and working in confined spaces.
Duration: 14 months
Funding band: £10,000
Maths/English level required: 2
End point assessment:
- Portfolio including Observation
Core requirements: Knowledge
- Relevant health, safety and environmental legislation.
- Gas and electrical testing & assessment procedures.
- Theory & procedures for smart meter installation, exchange, commission, decommission and maintenance.
- Electrical/mechanical & energy efficiency principles.
- Regulatory compliance and smart meter installation codes of practice (SMICoP).
Core requirements: Skills
- Risk assessment, installation, exchange, commission, decommission and ongoing maintenance of smart metering systems.
- Effective communication.
- Identification of unsafe conditions.
Core requirements: Behaviours
- Have personal wellbeing and the safety of customers and others as a priority.
- Be risk aware showing the desire to reduce risks through systematic monitoring and checking information and the strict compliance with appropriate rules and regulations.
- Be energy aware and deliver appropriate advice to customers on energy efficiency.
- Work effectively with people from different trades/disciplines, backgrounds and expertise to accomplish an activity safely, on time, providing confident challenge whilst meeting customer requirements.
- Deliver a polite, courteous professional service to all customers and members of the public whilst safeguarding customer welfare and recognising vulnerability.
- To maintain and develop personal learning plans to continually develop knowledge and competence.
To progress to the end-point assessment the apprentice will need to be assessed against and achieve registration on the Gas Safe® Register and Meter Operators Code of Practice Agreement (MOCoPA). This is a legal requirement for the role and a required competency measure.
Link to professional registration
In achieving a pass in this apprenticeship, the successful apprentice will be eligible to apply for membership with the Institution of Gas Engineers & Managers (IGEM) and the Institution of engineering and Technology (IET).