Gas Network Team Leaders apprenticeship
The main role of a Gas Network Distribution Team Leader is to safely build, maintain and repair the UK's gas network infrastructure to provide a reliable supply of gas to domestic, commercial and industrial users.
There are two main roles within the apprenticeship:
- Team Leader Service Laying.
- Team Leader Main Laying.
Duration: 12-18 months
Funding band: £9,000
Maths/English level required: 2
End point assessment:
- Portfolio 70%
- Knowledge Assessment 30%
Core requirements (both roles): Knowledge
- Installation, testing, purging and commissioning procedures.
- Legislation and codes of practice involved in the practical installation and maintenance of gas network assets.
- Relevant health, safety environmental standards and regulations.
- Procedures associated with gas network systems, controls and equipment.
- Theory and principles underpinning the design and function of assets.
Core requirements (both roles): Skills
- Risk assessments.
- Installation, repair and restoration of gas network infrastructure assets.
- Installation, test, purge and commission gas assets.
- Replacement of emergency control valves.
- Operation of powered tools and equipment for network operations.
- Effective communication.
- Analysis of information for good decision making.
- Compliance with New Roads and Street Works Act.
- Use of gas detection equipment.
Core requirements (both roles): Behaviours
- Display a self-disciplined, self-motivated approach.
- Deliver a polite, courteous professional service to customers and members of the public.
- Work effectively when undertaking individual and team tasks and objectives.
- Work with appropriate supervision, and when required under own initiative, to approved standards and safe work practices.
- Undertake and complete work in a way that contributes to sustainable development.
- Be risk aware and minimise risks to life, property and the environment when undertaking work activities.
- Be quality focussed and professional in work and in personal standards.
- Work safely with others and when working alone on site.
- Recognise personal limitations and seek advice from fact holders and specialists when required.
- Identify, organise and use resources effectively to complete tasks, with consideration for cost, quality, safety, security and environmental impact.
- Accept responsibility for work of self and others.
- Accept, allocate and supervise technical and other tasks.
- Be aware of the needs and concerns of others, especially where related to diversity and equality.
- Exercise responsibilities in an ethical manner.
A Team Leader in either of the roles within this apprenticeship has a number of potential progression opportunities including:
Building on the skills gained as either a Gas Service Layer, Main Layer or First Call Operative, take responsibility for undertaking and completing more complex technical activities.
- First Line Manager
To plan, undertake, and manage a team of engineers involved in a range of engineering operations to meet safety, time, cost and quality requirements.
- Network Design Engineer
Produce designs that meet statutory and industry recognised standards for additional gas network infrastructure, or increased gas load requirements.