Water Process Technician
Perform reactive and routine maintenance on equipment to ensure safe and efficient operations, supporting other disciplines as necessary. The main roles involve working on water supply and treatment; water networks and leakage, sewerage and wastewater.
Duration: 15 to 36 months
Maximum funding: £12,000
Maths/English level required: 2
End point assessment:
- Portfolio 70%
- Knowledge Assessment 30%
Water Process Technicians perform reactive and routine maintenance on equipment to ensure safe and efficient operations, supporting other disciplines as necessary. The main roles involve working on water supply and treatment; water networks and leakage, sewerage and wastewater.
There are five main roles within the apprenticeship:
- Water Treatment: Process Technician
- Water Distribution: Network Technician
- Water Distribution: Leakage Technician
- Waste Water: Sewerage Network Technician
- Waste Water: Treatment Technician
Core requirements: Knowledge
- Relevant health, safety & environmental standards and regulations.
- Maintenance practices, processes and procedures covering a range of waste and water systems, plant and equipment.
- Water industry operations in water and waste water treatment.
- Water and sewerage network operations.
- Relevant theory and principles underpinning the use of specific equipment, instruments and IT systems.
- Testing procedures of equipment and instruments as well as a range of fault finding procedures.
Core requirements: Skills
- Application of relevant health, safety & environmental legislation, industry regulations, standards, practices and procedures.
- Maintenance of clean water supply and effective removal and treatment of waste water.
- Testing of equipment, instruments and IT systems.
- Analysis of faults on systems, equipment, instruments and IT systems and implementation of effective solutions.
- Risk assessments.
- Driving vehicles equipped with tools and materials to job sites.
- Effective communication.
- Accurate recording of information.
- Ability to safely adapt working methods to reflect changes in working environments.
Core requirements: Behaviours
- Accept ownership and responsibility for your work whilst maintaining self-discipline, motivation and working in a professional manner at all times.
- Work well with people from different trades/disciplines, backgrounds and expertise to accomplish an activity safely and on time and meet customer requirements.
- Deliver a polite, courteous, professional service to customers, colleagues and members of the public.
- Be risk aware showing the desire to reduce risks through monitoring and checking information and strict compliance with appropriate rules.
- Demonstrate situational awareness - the impact of changing circumstances on an activity.
- Demonstrate concentration on task - identify and deal appropriately with distractions to enable tasks to be achieved.
- Undertake work in a way that contributes to personal development.
- As required, undertake standby duties to provide 24 hour cover to the network, or carry out operations that can only take place outside normal working hours.
- Identify, organise and use resources effectively to complete tasks, with consideration for cost, quality, safety, security and environmental impact.
- Accept, allocate and supervise technical and other tasks.
- Be aware of the needs and concerns of others, especially where related to diversity and equality.
- Undertake work in a way that contributes to sustainable development.
- Exercise responsibilities in an ethical manner.
Link to professional registration
In achieving the Pass in this apprenticeship, the successful apprentice will be eligible for Engineering Technician (Eng.Tech) (or equivalent) professional registration.