Overseeing Work (Topman - Non entrant) in High Risk Confined Spaces Training Course
Course Code: CSS3 | View training area
A 3 day training course for supervisors/entry attendants who as part of their duties have to coordinate employees working in high risk confined spaces. If you are, or are to be designated as, an authorised person, please refer to the separate course Implementation of Safe Systems of Work by Authorised Persons for Confined Spaces.
Please see below for our full training overview for Overseeing Work in High Risk Confined Spaces.
Benefits of attending for the delegate
- Greater confidence to plan and supervise confined space entry by employees and contractors, and to keep better records of such work.
- Better communication with colleagues and contractors to keep them informed and safe. Greater preparedness for emergency situations.
Benefits of attending for the employer
- The avoidance of serious injury and major harm to employees and evidence of assessment and qualifications towards competence of employees.
- Better planning and record keeping relating to confined space classification, risk assessment, safe systems and permits to work.
- Employees who feel they can make a greater contribution to the workplace and who feel their employer has made an investment in their future.
What you will learn
- To develop, communicate and supervise safe systems of work and emergency procedures.
- To understand and use relevant documentation for confined spaces working.
- To understand mechanisms of atmosphere testing, monitoring and ventilation procedures.
- To select as appropriate gas monitoring or testing equipment, harness, hoists, winches and fall arrest systems Full Working Set Breathing Apparatus.
- To select, brief and deploy staff at confined spaces and control them effectively during changing working conditions.
What qualifications will you achieve?
- This Working in High Risk Confined Spaces training course incorporates assessment and certification under the City and Guilds 6150-54 scheme (6150-04 for those working in the Water Industry); the Level 3 Award in Top Man/Persons for High Risk Confined Spaces.
- Delegates/Customers may opt out of the full certification process if they require a certificate of attendance only.
How is this training delivered?
- You will plan entry to a High Risk confined space in a table top exercise and case study within the classroom, preparing for entry, communicating with others, exiting the confined space and dealing with emergency situations. This is followed by a practical exercise to work through the associated paperwork and responsibilities.
- City and Guilds qualification assessed by written and oral tests of underpinning knowledge and the completion of the case study and relevant safety documentation.
What do I need to bring with me?
- Delegates attending the overseeing work in confined spaces training course should bring their own safety footwear, waterproof clothing, high visibility vest/clothing, hard hat and working gloves for the practical exercises. We have a selection of harnesses but please bring your own harness if you wish.
- Delegates can bring with them any materials used by their own employer, copies of risk assessments or permits to work so that they can see how their materials fit in to the context of the training.