18th Edition Wiring Regulations (BS7671:2018) (EL18)
Course for persons with responsibility for the design, installation or maintenance of electrical systems. The course is designed for electrically trained engineers/craftsmen to attain a benchmark qualification relating to the 18th Edition IET Wiring Regulations.
An 18th Edition Wiring Regulations refresher course is also available for those who have previously completed a 17th Edition IET Wiring Regulations course.
3 day course
Benefits for the learner
- Greater understanding and compliance with legislation.
Benefits for the employer
- Compliance with legislation.
- Better documentation, communication and enforcement of safe working procedures.
What you’ll learn on this course
Upon successful completion of this course individuals will be conversant with the format, content and the application of the Requirements for Electrical Installations (BS7671: 2018) 18th Edition Regulations.
Key learning points:
- The terminology used for electrical installations.
- The assessment of the installation that has to be carried out.
- Protection against electric shock.
- Protection against short-circuit currents.
- Isolation and switching.
- Protection against overloads.
- Sizing conductors for the above.
- Selection and erection of equipment.
- Sizing of earthing and protective conductors.
- Outline of the rules for inspection and testing.
Changes from the 17th edition
Changes for 18th Edition are suggested to be as follows:
- Protection against over voltages - Clause 443 is likely to be overhauled.
- Protection against fire - Chapter 42 will be updated with extra information on arc fault detection.
- Electrical Embedded heating - Section 753 will be extended to include embedded electrical heating systems for surface heating, and will include de-icing and frost prevention systems.
- Energy efficiency - There will be a brand new section covering energy efficiency.
What do I need to bring with Me?
- Learners should bring a calculator, a copy of BS7671 18th Edition Wiring Regulations and the On Site Guide.
- Learners can also bring with them any materials used by their employer, copies of risk assessments or management systems so that they can see how their materials fit in to the context of the training.
How is the training delivered?
- Learners are continually assessed, both in written and practical exercises, and there are opportunities to work with a wide range of equipment that will support their knowledge in the field.
- This course can be intense, as it includes evening work in terms of both the reading of course materials and completion of projects.
- An online examination is undertaken on the final day.
- This course incorporates assessment and certification under City and Guilds; the Level 3 Award in the Requirements for Electrical Installations (BS7671: 2018) 18th Edition Regulations.
March 2022 - Daniel Beresford
Venue is in very poor condition. Classroom had no windows for two days. Very depressing. Food excellent.
January 2022 - Oliver Johnson
Very good training course, the Derby Centre provided food which is always good and Paul made sure you were well above the required standard to pass the 18th edition course
November 2021 - Jamie Lines
Trainer was excellent, clearly knew the book well and explained things well
July 2021 - Oliver Toop-Rose
Course was delivered well and time was spent well to help when I didn't understand things
May 2021 - George Edwards
Good training, just feel that an extra day would be beneficial. It is a lot of information to take in in 2 and a half days.
November 2020 - Andrew Burdett
The week was difficult as the other 5 people didn't turn up and I did the course on my own. The tutor was very helpful and made sure I understood everything before we moved on.
November 2020 - Daniel Morgan
Trainer was great
October 2020 - Alex Donaldson
The course was delivered extremely well by the lecturer which gave me confidence going into the exam. The office staff member onsite was welcoming and friendly, both the lecturer and office staff member are a credit to Develop
October 2020 - Colin Rennie
Passing the course and gaining the qualification.
October 2020 - Allan Frame
Mike the instructor was excellent, he made the whole course quite enjoyable
September 2020 - Michael Leigh
Paul Allam is an excellent teacher.
September 2020 - Brian Allen
Nice food and a nice grounds area
September 2020 - Piotr Paprot
Friendly and pleasant atmosphere.
August 2020 - Bob Mckibbin
The pace of the learning and the PC based format of the exam
August 2020 - Patrick Banks
Practical mock test papers.