Gas Network Design Foundation (GIRS1)
Course for persons who design specifications for gas distribution networks involving low pressure mains and services, this course will enable learners to begin to design and administer the laying of gas services and extensions to existing low pressure distribution mains networks within the framework for the liberalised gas market. A basic knowledge and understanding of the gas industry would be advantageous but not essential.
5 day course
Benefits for the learner
- A greater understanding of the regulations and procedures for design of gas distribution systems.
Benefits for the employer
- A demonstration of the learners understanding of the key principles of gas distribution system design.
What you’ll learn on this course
- The legal framework: Gas Safety Management Regulations 1996; Pipeline Safety Regulations.
- Design of gas service (IGE/TD/4): Sizing; Method of installation; Entry into buildings; Valves; Pressure testing; Commissioning.
- Design of gas mains (IGE/TD/3 and IGE/GL/7): Demand; Pressure; Velocity; Routing; Materials; Network analysis; Safety assessment.
- Construction planning.
- Connections, testing, purging, commissioning.
- Preparation of a safety case for the HSE (IGE/GL/7)
What do I need to bring with Me?
- Learners can bring with them any materials used in their work, copies of risk assessments or management systems so that they can see how their materials fit in to the context of the training.
How is the training delivered?
- This is a classroom based course.
- Develop Training certificate.
May 2022 - Glen hopson
Andy is an excellent tutor and clearly extremely knowledgeable in the field in all aspects. Very happy with the course delivery
March 2022 - Roz Chomacki
Andy hit a perfect balance in his training style for this course and was very patient. A great trainer and I would recommend this to anyone else in my position.
March 2022 - Sarah Standish
Andy is an extremely good trainer, he kept it light and added humour which is rare in gas design. The course material and content was pitched at the correct level. Andy adapted the training for me on day 3 as I had to stay at home as I was poorly.
April 2021 - Kirsty Duffy
The trainer was excellent, however the course wasn't long enough to absorb all the information. This would have been better over 4/5 days rather than the 2 days including exam as feel I did not take in all the information I would have wanted to and no time for revision for exam etc.