A 2 day course designed to provide knowledge, understanding and practical skills for water and gas network operatives working as team leaders who are involved with, or responsible for, construction activities relating to the installation of polyethylene pipe systems above 400mm in diameter.
Learners must have their NCO Main Layer Gas or Water up to 355mm or 315mm respectively as a pre-requisite.
Benefits of attending for the learner
Following the successful completion of this course learners will possess the knowledge, understanding and practical skills to competently undertake fusion welding of polyethylene pipes above 400mm using a TracStar machine and 80v electrofusion box.
Benefits of attending for the employer
The purpose of this course is to provide suitably qualified main layers with skills in the following areas:
- Gas and Water industry requirements for butt fusion of large diameter pipes.
- Techniques for cutting large diameter pipes to length, suitable for electrofusion.
- Techniques for the correct installation of large diameter electrofusion fittings (socket).
- Techniques for the correct installation of large diameter electrofusion fittings (tie in).
- Techniques for the correct installation and testing of tapping tees.
What you will learn
On completion of the course, participants will be assessed to demonstrate their knowledge of the following:
To have an understanding of:
- The requirements for selection and management of butt fusion equipment and records within a site location, the correct procedures for site-based butt fusion.
- The requirements for accurate marking of pipes and techniques for cutting pipes, when such pipes are to be inserted into electrofusion fittings.
- The principles of operation of large diameter coupler fittings, and the recommended procedures for installation in either the single socket or tie-in configurations.
To be able to demonstrate practical competence in:
- The assembly of a large diameter electrofusion coupler fitting to multi-layer pipe.
- The manufacture and assessment of a butt fusion joint.
What qualifications will you achieve?
Endorsement on the learners EUSR card for large diameter fusion above 400mm which will last for 3 years. This programme can also be used as evidence towards gaining NCO Main Layer endorsement above 400mm.
How is this training delivered?
A mixture of class room lectures with written assessments and practical demonstrations, followed by practical assessments.
What do I need to bring with me?
Learners must bring the following items for personal protective equipment:
- Industrial safety helmets or bump caps.
- Safety gloves.
- Safety boots or shoes with protective toecaps.
- Conventional or disposable overalls or boiler suits.
- Safety spectacles or goggles.
Learners must also bring their EUSR Card with registration number.